Kwinana Co-generation Power Plant committed to improving energy efficiency

The Kwinana Co-generation power plant was commissioned in December 1996, 40km south of Perth in Western Australia.

The plant is primarily fuelled by Western Australia’s gas fields, north of Perth. The gas is transported to Kwinana through the Dampier to Bunbury Gas pipeline. It can produce over 120 MW of electricity which can supply about 6 per cent of Western Australia’s power needs.

As a co-generation plant, Kwinana supplies both steam and electrical power directly to the BP Australia Kwinana Oil Refinery and supplies electricity to the market, through the state-owned generator/retailer, Synergy.

The steam turbine production is supported by
Co-generation power plant
120 MW generation capacity
20 Employees
Supplies both steam and electrical power
Fuelled by WA’s gas fields
Committed to energy efficient practices
burning refinery fuel gas from the BP Refinery but is predominantly generated from the waste heat from the gas turbine exhausts. Through this process the plant is improving its overall efficiency.

The plant is certified for its environmental policy, health and safety and quality assurance demonstrating Kwinana’s and ENGIE’s commitment to international standards and best practices in energy generation.

Kwinana is jointly owned by ENGIE and Mitsui & Co Ltd with a combined 70 per cent ownership. The remaining 30 per cent is owned by Ratch Australia Corporation as part of the Perth Power Partnership.

Natural gas is a colourless, odorless, flammable gas that usually contains about 90% methane. It can be found in deep underground rock formations, often alongside oil or coal. It’s one of the main energy sources in the world. As a lower intensive fossil fuel, natural gas is playing a crucial role in helping the world transition to low-carbon energy production.

Although coal and oil still account for around 60% of global energy consumption, natural gas meets 21% of global demand. Offering much lower CO2 emissions than other fossil fuels, it’s an important alternative that provides a low-carbon bridge on the road to a zero-carbon future.

Gas-fired electricity generation – such as ENGIE’s Pelican Point Power Station in South Australia – makes an important contribution to energy security and stability, as well as complementing renewables, such as wind and solar. Following a $75 million upgrade, the 487MW Pelican Point Power Station is one of the most environmentally friendly of its type in Australia.

Want to know more?